Thursday 31 July 2014

The BEST Tips & Tricks to Grow Long Healthy Hair






Hey lovelies! Today I wanted to share with you some of my FAVORITE tips & tricks for keeping your hair healthy. YES! I DO wear extensions, and I LOVE them! I absolutely swear by my clip-ins. But my hair is still my pride and joy and I do my VERY best to take absolute care of it! I've tried it all... oils, homemade masks, expensive masks, CHEAP masks, an ARRAY of conditioners etc etc.
When I say I've tried it ALL, I really do mean it. Through my extensive (and huge assortment) or hair tips and tricks I want to share with you guys what I've figured out to be the BEST of the BEST!

1) KNOW YOUR MASKS

The difference between a protein versus a moisture mask is SO important. Moisture masks are INCREDIBLE for hydrating strands as a whole, but if you are encountering BREAKAGE you need to be on a protein treatment to rebuild your follicle resilience. You should always follow a protein treatment with a moisture mask afterwards, this way your hair will rebuild it's strength while remaining soft. Something I've learned along the way -- apply the proper mask during your shower, then use a shower cap to lock in heat for a greater conditioning.

2) USE QUALITY PRODUCTS

I can't tell you enough the difference it made on my hair when I switched from a regular shampoo --> to a SULFATE FREE shampoo! If you haven't already - do it now. As for conditioners, make sure it's *silicone free*. Silicones form a barrier on the hair shaft and make it feel TEMPORARILY smoother, but actually cause MORE damage to the hair over time.

3) SLEEP WITH COCONUT OIL

I know it's not IDEAL, but your hair will be! Try sleeping with your locks completely saturated in the oil at LEAST two nights a week and your hair will seriously thank you! Make sure the coconut oil is

  • Organic
  • Cold/Expeller Pressed
  • Extra Virgin

I use the coconut oil from GNC and it lasts me 3-4 months -- SO WORTH IT! Also, your pillow case WILL absorb some of the oil so make sure you wash them frequently!

4) TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY

You are what you eat! Eating a healthy diet will help your hair grow faster, thicker, and glossier. Be sure yo get the right vitamins and nutrients EVERY day. Biotin and Vitamin B both promote healthy skin, hair and nail growth. I take 5000mcg of Biotin a day as well as my Shakeology. Since adding both of those to my routine my hair has started growing IMMENSELY. I'm still slightly torn on whether thats a good or a bad thing since now my roots need to be done more often ;) hehe jk, it's TOTALLY a good thing. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day as well to make sure your body (and hair) is hydrated properly.

5) LIMIT HOT TOOLS

I know this one is a given, but it's equally as important. You should only be heat styling your hair twice a week MAX if you're trying to repair OR grow. Save those babies for the weekend, and rock a cute ponytail or braid during the week. When you do use hot tools, make sure to spritz your hair with a heat protector beforehand and use the curler/straightener on the lowest heat setting!

6) WASH WITH COOL WATER

Hot water can REALLY dry out your hair and leave it dull. No one wants that! After shampooing and conditioning rinse with cool water to close your cuticle and lock in moisture.

7) PROPER AFTER SHOWER CARE

Ladies, PLEASE don't brush your hair when it's wet! Trust me when I say, a wide tooth comb is your BEST friend! When you get out of the shower make sure to use a leave in conditioner. I spray my hair with a Keratin treatment and comb it through gently. This allows the product to work it's way through any tangles without stretching your hair (which is often what happens when your brush it while wet)

8) MASSAGE YOUR SCALP

Massage your scalp for two minutes per day using the tips of your fingers. This boosts blood circulation and stimulates the follicles to produce and release sebum. You can also use a stimulating scalp oil! Home made ones tends to be the best since you can guarantee there won't be any secret chemicals in them. Try:

  • 1 oz of Almond Oil
  • 3 drops of Lavender Oil
  • 3 drops of Vitamin E Oil
  • 4 drops of Vitamin B Oil
Apply a few drops of your oil to your head right before your massage. The almond oil will moisturize and the lavender, vitamin E & B will increase circulation! 

Those are my SACRED tips on healing and repairing hair. It doesn't matter how damaged or dry your hair is, you can always improve it and help grow faster! 
I hope you love them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment