Tuesday 29 July 2014

How to Bleach Hair at Home

Good morning ladies!! I want to share with you the secret to something I get asked ALL the time... it doesn't matter where I go, at least 3-5 times a week I get asked 
"I love your hair! Where do you get it done?!" 
And people are always surprised to hear me say 
"Oh, I do it myself!"
And yes... I TRULY do it myself! I did some EXTENSIVE research, watched youtube after youtube tutorial, went to Sally's, and dyed it for the first time myself last January (2013). I have to admit, I was REALLY scared. I just couldn't keep up with the cost of seeing a hairdresser every month to maintain my roots! SO - I got a little creative, and it paid off big time! I've been doing my own hair for a year and a half and I do my roots every 2-3 weeks. 



I KNOW that's a lot, but I LOVE the appearance of fresh roots - and since it's inexpensive & I can do it when it's convenient for me, it works out well! My hair is naturally dark blonde, but I've always LOVED the platinum blonde/playboy bunny blonde. This will work on dark or light hair. If your hair is dark brown, you will need to do this twice to get it to the blonde you want, but only do it once per day! 

I wanted to give you a step by step of how I do it so that hopefully some aspiring blondes out there can do this on a low budget! ;) The cost is about $40 to get everything you need the first time. Those goodies will last you at least 8 months though - BIG money saver!

The supplies you need are: 

30 OR 40 Volume Developer
(30 vol. if your hair is naturally dark blonde to light brown, 
40 vol. if your hair is darker than that)
Wella Bleach Powder
Mixing Bowl
Applicator Brush


You want to mix the bleach powder with the developer in your mixing bowl with a 2:1 ratio. Don't get confused, this is easy trust me! One scoop of bleach powder (usually 30g) then pour in 60g of developer (until the level reaches 90g) 
Does that make sense? It needs to be at 90g because you already added 30g of the powder :)

Mix it with the brush until it becomes a nice creamy consistency. 

If your just doing your roots, start at the bottom of your head and work your way up.
If you're dying your whole head of hair, start at the base of your hair, and apply it to your ends last. Try to work quickly! If you used 30 vol. developer - leave it on your hair/roots for 25 minutes. If you used 40 vol. developer - leave it on your hair for 30 minutes.

After your timer has finished - rinse the bleach out, wash your hair with a PURPLE shampoo and deep condition your hair! My secret weapon is Aveda Damage Remedy. It smells amazing and on top of that it will work WONDERS on your hair!

I thought about going into GREAT detail about how to do this, and how to make sure every single thing was EXACTLY like this person or that person -BUT- what I've learnt is that there are SO many small varieties out there when it comes to doing your own hair. When I was doing my research I WISH someone had just made a plain, simple and straightforward post. That was my goal for this! It really is as simple as it sounds. Don't be afraid! 

Goodluck ladies!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment